This core quintet plays music drawing on gospel and South African roots and features an all-star cast including Benjamin Jephta (musician, composer and arranger and band leader), Kyle Shepherd (2014 Standard Bank Young Artist) (piano), Marcus Wyatt (an 8-time SAMA nominee) (trumpet), Sisonke Xonti (sax) and Jonno Sweetman (drums). They will also be featuring various guest artists.
Benjamin has already made a name for himself as one of South Africa’s premier jazz double bass and electric bass players having performed with the likes of Sibongile Khumalo, Hugh Masekela and Feya Faku and Jimmy Dludlu amongst others. After releasing his debut album “Home Coming”earlier this year and having performed as one of the acts for the acclaimed 2016 Cape Town International Jazz Festival, the quintet is looking forward to premiering and recording some new material.
The quintet has enjoyed critical recognition in several media outlets and has been nominated for numerous awards such as the 2016 Metro FM and South African Music Awards (SAMA) for “Best Jazz Album”.
- ” Even though Jazz is generally known as a mature genre, Jephta has made his music hip for a new generation” – Tina George | Tonight, Cape Argus
- “Jeptha’s compositions move you to silence… They are imbued with a sense of Dollar Brand-era nostalgia, while at the same time managing to sound current and innovative” – Setumo-Thebe Mohlomi |Sunday Times
- “Jeptha is representative of the now-generation kind of music” – Sarah Evans |Mail & Guardian
- “… bassist Benjamin Jephta decided he had to show the world there was more to young musicians than mass marketing and hyped-up fake pop “icons”.” – Gary Van Dyk |Die Burger
Key performance dates:
– Thursday, 09 June 2016 at 19:00
– Friday, 10 June 2016 at 19:00
– Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 17:30
Tickets range from R90 – R120 per person and available at Computicket Outlets.