New World Dance Theatre’s Borne Frees – A Walk To Remember is forming part of the Artscape Heritage Festival.
Artscape, in association with New World Dance Theatre supported by the Western Cape Education Department and the UCT School of Dance is proud to present the New World Dance Theatre’s Borne Frees – A Walk to Remember from 8 – 11 September at Artscape Theatre.
This is a contemporary dance show celebrating our history, the diversity of our country and the global village we reside. It will showcase over 30 youth from the New World Dance Theatre’s training programme and the UCT SoD training programme under the guidance of NWDT’s acclaimed choreographers Marlin Zoutman and Celeste Botha.
Celeste explains; “NWDT is a vision that has been growing inside of us for many years. This vision is born from glancing at the past in as much as it is from looking toward the future. Our collective and the work we hope to create is inspired by the love for our art form which has brought us both joy and purpose to our lives.” Celeste continues to say, Heritage has been passed on by generations before us. Our forefathers contributed to our diverse country and there is so much to celebrate. ” A Walk To Remember” will take you on a journey through the eyes of our youth and plays tribute to the architects and historic heroes of our South African heritage”.
Participating High Schools and Dance Schools:
- Alexander Sinton – Athlone
- Brakenfell High – Brakenfell
- Camps Bay High – Camps Bay
- Cedar High – Mitchells Plain
- Chris Hani high – Kayelitsha
- Dance Apart Dance – professional company formed by 2 dancers who also started as dancers in a school who offered dance as a subject.
- Eersterivier High – Eersterivier
- Maxwell Rani African Dance School
- New World Dance Theatre training programme – Belhar, Hanover Park, Langa, Kayelitsha, Eersterivier, Hout Bay, Woodstock, Mitchells Plain
- UCT School of Dance students
- UCT Contemporary Dance Youth Training Programme
- Wynberg High – Wynberg
- 43/18 Youth Dance Company
- Zonnebloem Primary – Zonnebloem
- South Peninsula High – Retreat
A Walk to Remember is a part of Artscape’s Heritage celebrations and as the standard bearer for the arts and culture in the Western Cape, Artscape has always been committed to using the performing arts as an instrument to advance and enrich our community and this year’s Heritage Festival is no exception, with a programme showcasing the province’s rich cultural heritance.
Tickets are available from Computicket or Artscape Dial-A-Seat on 021 421 7695. For more information, visit the website at www.artscape.co.za