The audiences of BroadwayHD voted and what remarkable results the awards produced! They placed Joburg Theatre in the forefront as the home of extraordinary productions and shone the light on local talent.
Regional productions, touring shows, and more are all included in the awards, honouring productions which opened between October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018.
African Gothic staged on The Fringe from 18 – 25 July 2018 while The Color Purple returned for a second season on The Mandela Stage following popular demand from 07 August – 02 September 2018.
The management of Joburg City Theatres congratulates the winners of the awards and thanks the readers and patrons that voted. “This further stamps to us that we need to continuously work hard in staging more locally relevant productions showcasing our wealth of home-grown talent,” says Makhaola Ndebele, Artistic Director at Joburg City Theatres.
In no particular order, African Gothic & The Color Purple won the following accolades:
- Best Sound Design (Professional)
Franco Prinsloo – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Scenic Design (Professional)
Alby Michaels / FADA – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Play (Professional)
- Best Musical (Professional)
THE COLOR PURPLE
- Best Lighting Design (Professional)
Oliver Hauser – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Ensemble Performance (Professional)
- Best Director of a Play (Professional)
Alby Michaels – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Director of a Musical (Professional)
Janice Honeyman – THE COLOR PURPLE
- Best Costume Design (Professional)
FADA – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Actress in a Leading Role in a Play (Professional)
Liezl De Kock – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical (Professional)
Didintle Khunou – THE COLOR PURPLE
- Best Actress in a Featured Role in a Play (Professional)
Olive Strachan – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Actor in a Leading Role in a Play (Professional)
Zak Hendrikz – AFRICAN GOTHIC
- Best Actor in a Featured Role in a Play (Professional)
Mpho Osei-Tutu – AFRICAN GOTHIC
Joburg Theatre is an independent municipal entity under Joburg City Theatres wholly owned by the City of Joburg and operates with the aim to provide artistic platforms through the integrated management with the main objective to serve the diverse communities of the City of Joburg and ultimately the country through storytelling and engaging in dialogue from all walks of life.
To make theatre accessible to all, Joburg Theatre offers great promotions on tickets, geared to cater for all audiences on both The Fringe & The Mandela stage:
- Corporate Nights – “Buy 20 or more tickets for your corporate and get 25% off!” Thursday performances throughout the year.
- Student Nights – offering students a 50% discount for Tuesday & Wednesday’s performances for tickets bought directly at the box office – student card to be produced for verification purposes.
- Pensioner Discounts available on request by calling the box office directly on 0861 670 670
Get more information by visiting www.joburtheatre.com or by contacting the box office on 0861 670 670.