NEA Music, Dance and Theatre Development Project
Call for Applications for facilitators.
The National Eisteddfod Academy (NEA), supported by the National Lottery Commission, is seeking Provincial Facilitators for the NEA Music, Dance and Theatre Development Project.
The strategic objectives of the NEA Music, Dance and Theatre Development Project, to be implemented in rural, poor and underserviced communities in Limpopo, Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, are:
- training and support to educators in music, dance and theatre;
- providing youths with a performance platform;
- youth development in the arts through participation in music, dance and theatre;
- acknowledgement and showcasing of talented youths;
- promoting the use of indigenous languages in theatre;
- fostering awareness and pride of our multi-cultural diversity;
- creating awareness of and interest in the arts.
The NEA is urgently seeking multi-skilled individuals with knowledge of music, dance, theatre as well as the vernacular of the following cultural groupings,
- KwaZulu-Natal: Zulu culture,
- Limpopo: Venda, Tsonga and Pedi cultures,
- Western Cape: Different cultures and
- Gauteng: Different cultures
to support the implementation of the project.
Responsibilities are twofold and will include the following:
- Facilitation: the successful candidates will be required to
- Communicate the NEA Music, Dance and Theatre development Project to schools and communities in the targeted provinces and call for participation;
- Present information sessions in participating areas and communities;
- Identify schools / educators / trainers that expressed an interest to become involved in the project;
- Develop provincial implementation plans with the support of the NEA Office;
- Implement a provincial arts training programme at identified schools and communities;
- Involve as many participants as possible at participating schools and communities;
- Provide ongoing support to educators and trainers;
- Manage the completion and collection of entries by participating schools / organizations for eisteddfod adjudication sessions at their doorsteps;
- Submit entries to the NEA office for scheduling of local eisteddfod adjudication sessions;
- Adjudicate all entries at the doorstep of participating schools / organizations;
- Provide all participants with feedback on their performances;
- Identify the best performers for possible inclusion in a provincial Showcase.
- Administration: the successful candidates will be responsible for all administrative duties as required for the successful implementation of the project, including, but are not limited to the following activities:
- setting up meetings to communicate the project to schools and communities in townships and rural areas;
- calling for participation in the Festival and distributing the necessary material to them;
- assisting the NEA in the planning and presentation of the regional arts festivals;
- submitting weekly progress reports;
- managing their transport costs within the allocated budget and submitting all invoices according to prescribed procedures.
Requirements: a combination of the following:
- A passion for the performing arts and the youth;
- Intimate knowledge of indigenous arts practices (music, dance and language) as performed in the relevant province or alternatively knowledge and experience in the arts in general;
- Experience in an administrative role;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office with access to e-mail and the internet, telephone and fax facilities;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and in writing);
- Excellent people skills;
- Access to existing networks in the relevant community would be an advantage;
- A solid work ethic, disciplined, reliable and strongly self-motivated;
- Successful candidates will be required to attend a two-day training session for the festival at the NEA offices in Randburg from 26 – 28 July 2018;
- Own transport or reasonable access to public transport in the identified area(s).
Duration: 4 Month contract
Start Date: 16 July 2018
Remuneration: R15,000 per month
Closing Date for Applications: 25 June 2018 – by 16:00.
For more information phone the NEA office on 011 886 6005 during office hours or send an email to The Project Co-ordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org . An application form can be completed and submitted online on the NEA website www.eisteddfod.co.za. (Select the NEA Development Project 2018 button on the homepage).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.