Two productions presented by Eric Abraham and the Fugard Theatre have received an incredible 25 Naledi Theatre Award nominations.
The historic production of South African musical King Kong – The Musical garnered 15 nominations while their grand-scale production of West Side Story swept 10 nominations.
“Congratulations to all the nominees. We are honoured to be nominated among such esteemed company,” says Daniel Galloway, Executive Director of the Fugard Theatre. “South Africa boasts world-class talent, from performers and artists to designers and technical staff, and we are proud to be recognised by these nominations which celebrate that talent.”
The list of nominations for Fugard Theatre productions is:
BEST PRODUCTION OF A MUSICAL
- West Side Story
- King Kong – The Musical
BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL/REVUE
- Jonathan Munby and & Mdu Kweyama for King Kong – The Musical
- Matthew Wild for West Side Story
BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL OR REVIEW:MALE
- Andile Gumbi as King Kong in King Kong – The Musical
- Sne Dladla as Pop in King Kong – The Musical
BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL OR REVIEW: FEMALE
- Lynelle Kenned as Maria in West Side Story
- Nondumiso Tembe as Joyce in King Kong – The Musical
BEST SUPPORTING/FEATURED PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL/REVUE: MALE
- Sanda Shandu as Lucky in King Kong – The Musical
BEST SUPPORTING/FEATURED PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL/REVUE: FEMALE
- Bianca le Grange as Anita in West Side Story
- Lerato Mvelase as Petal in King Kong – The Musical
- Ntambo Rapatla as Miriam in King Kong – The Musical
BEST THEATRE SET DESIGN
- Conor Murphy for West Side Story
- Paul Wills for King Kong – The Musical
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
- Birrie le Roux for West Side Story
- Birrie le Roux for King Kong – The Musical
BEST LIGHTING DESIGN
- Joshua Cutts for West Side Story
- Tim Mitchell for King Kong – The Musical
BEST SOUND DESIGN OR SOUND SCAPE
- Mark Malherbe for King Kong – The Musical
- Mark Malherbe for West Side Story
BEST ORIGINAL CHOREOGRAPHY FOR A PLAY, MUSICAL/REVUE
- Louisa Talbot for West Side Story
- Gregory Maqoma & Richard Lothian (fight choreography) for King Kong – The Musical
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE / ARRANGEMENT /MUSICAL ADAPTATION
- Todd Matshikiza & Charl-Johan Lingenfelder (Additional music & arrangement) for
- King Kong – The Musical
BEST MUSICAL DIRECTOR
- Charl-Johan Lingenfelder for West Side Story
- Charl-Johan Lingenfelder and Sipumzo Trueman Lucwaba for King Kong – The Musical
The winners will be announced on 18 June.
Athol Fugard’s The Road To Mecca, staring Sandra Prinsloo, Marius Weyers and Emily Child must end on 19 May in the Fugard Theatre.
Louis Viljoen’s new comedy-horror The Demon Bride is currently on at the Fugard Studio Theatre until 2 June 2018.
For further information and bookings, contact the Fugard Theatre Box office on 021 461 4554.