Latest posts by Sophiatown the Mix (see all)
- Sophiatown Jazz Encounters welcomes Tu Nokwe - 13/06/2019
- Sophiatown Jazz Encounters celebrates Africa Month through music - 26/04/2019
- Sophiatown Jazz Encounters celebrates Freedom Day - 12/04/2019
“This is another of those albums that merits quiet listening, but only to enjoy the seamless empathy and skill of the players – it’s not in any sense ‘difficult’ music. But it is likely to take you outside yourself, into a place that is neither north nor south but lets you bask in the light of both.” – Gwen Ansell (acclaimed author/journalist)
The Norwegian/South African collaboration project Halles Komet will be touring South Africa in 2018 to promote their second album, “The Storm Inside”, which also features the South African trumpeter Feya Faku.
The album was recorded during May 2015 at the Rainbow Studios in Oslo and was officially released in South Africa with celebrated performances in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
The official European release was received with critical acclaim and a sold-out performance at the 2017 Oslo Jazz Festival.
The album consists of original compositions, with an eclectic range of influences drawing from Nordic and Pan-African Jazz traditions. This group’s first album, Halles Komet, was met with critical acclaim in the Norwegian press and the second album, “The Storm Inside” is set for even greater acclaim from both local and foreign press as well.
- Morten Halle – saxophones Professor Oslo Academy of Music
- Andre Petersen – piano Award-winning pianist /Wits University lecturer
- Edvard Askeland – double bass Director (Oslo Jazz Festival)
- Torstein Lofthus – drums Assoc Professor (University of Tromsø)
Bring your own drinks and snacks. We provide glasses and ice.
Supervised street parking.
Bookings: 083 550 7130 / 011 477 3490
Venue: 71-73 Toby Street, Sophiatown, next to Westdene – Jozi. GPS: 26°10’34.2″S 27°58’59.8″E