The Market Theatre invites community theatre groups to apply to take part in its Community Theatre Practitioners Incubator programme for the 2019/20 year.
The programme aims to improve the skills of writers, directors, designers and actors and empowers them to create and produce local content of a high standard. The next generation of community arts leaders, arts entrepreneurs and administrators are trained and exposed to both the creative and practical sides of producing a professional theatre production. Group leaders (usually writers and directors) receive specialised training and resources to improve the quality of their work and their leadership, ultimately benefiting the entire group.
The incubation programme, funded by the Department of Sports, Arts and Culture aims to help emerging practitioners hone their skills through mentorship and propel them from amateur to professional status. The process also puts a strong emphasis on home-grown content with the aim of generating exciting new productions for the theatre-going public.
To be considered for the programme you need to:
- Applicants need to reside in Gauteng
- Participants in an applicant’s production need to be between 18 and 35 years old
- Participants must be full-time theatre practitioners who will be able to commit themselves to a demanding schedule from 1 September 2019 to Sunday 08 March 2020
Should your community theatre group meet the above eligibility criteria, the following needs to be submitted for your application to be evaluated:
- A duly completed showcase application form (Get it from Market Theatre)
- Certified ID copies of the creative team (director and author)
- 100-word bios of the writer and the director
- Artistic treatment of the proposed play
- One scene from the proposed play
When applying, groups must ensure that they are available for the following dates and activities:
- Production Identifying Phase: September & October -2019
- Mentoring 8 Productions: Monday 2 November – Friday 22 November
- Kolapeng Showcases: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 November 2019
- Zwakala Conversation: Wednesday 26 – Friday 29 November 2019
- Zwakala Story Development & Design: Monday 06 January – Thursday 6 February 2020
- Zwakala Festival Technical: Friday 7 Feb 2020 (during the day)
- Zwakala Opening Ceremony: Friday 7 February 2020 (in the evening)
- Zwakala Festival: Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 Feb 2020
- Zwakala Winner Rehearsals: Monday 10 February – Saturday 15 February 2020
- Zwakala Winner Get in: Mon.17 February 2020
- Zwakala Winner Preview: Tuesday 18 February 2020
- Zwakala Winner Opening: 19 February 2020
- Zwakala Winner Run: 20 Feb-08 March 2020
Applications should be hand-delivered or e-mailed to Sipho Mwale firstname.lastname@example.org by 15:00 on Monday 30 September 2019.
No late applications will be accepted, and correspondence will only be limited to successful groups.