The purpose of this notice is to call for nominations for three Non-Executive Directors, to serve on the Board of Business and Arts South Africa (BASA). The current BASA Board consists of 12 Non-Executive Board Members, and one Executive Member, all of whom contribute to the overall success, governance and compliance of the organisation. There are three vacancies on the Board. Nominations should include the name of the proposer, a letter of motivation, and a detailed curriculum vitae (CV) of the proposed candidate. This documentation may be submitted to Rochelle Singh via e-mail at email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is Wednesday, 31 July 2019.
BASA was founded in 1997, as a joint initiative between government and the private sector, as part of a strategy to secure greater involvement in the arts, from businesses operating within South Africa.
Established as a Section 21 company, BASA is constituted in terms of the Companies Act and is registered as a public benefit organisation (PBO). It’s delisting as a Schedule 3 entity has seen Business and Arts South Africa NPC register for VAT. BASA is accountable to its stakeholders, namely government, BASA members and the creative sector.
– Vision: Mutually beneficial partnerships are hardwired into BASA’s DNA and are a part of its founding ethos. We believe in the power that comes from a deep collaboration between the right partners, and the transformational value of the arts to effect meaningful social change.
– Mission: BASA champions business investment in the creative sector by leading research that enhances commercial confidence. BASA builds capacity through its programmes and is shifting the paradigm for the future of partnerships between diverse stakeholders.
– Positioning Statement: BASA champions business investment within the arts, culture and heritage sectors. BASA is the connector catalyst for both businesses and the arts, driving focused and sustained partnerships, by unlocking shared value and fostering social cohesion.
Nomination Structures and Elections Process
One of the key objectives of this nomination process is to have a Board that consists of expert members who contribute actively to its functioning. Areas of address that members would be required to support would include fundraising strategies, marketing, policy and governance, and financial support.
The Board Members would be required to be strategically engaged but not operationally active. In 2017, the Board appointed a Governance Committee to assist with this process, consisting of members who are eligible for election to the Board, and who have the necessary knowledge of the organisation.
The following individuals currently serve on the Governance Committee:
– Dr Abba Omar
– Charmaine Soobramoney
– Zingisa Motloba
– Ashraf Johaardien
The duties of the Governance Committee are to:
1. receive nominations for potential candidates;
2. identify potential candidates based on the balance and representation of the Board;
3. evaluate candidates based on background information, declaration of interests and curriculum vitae;
4. prepare a short-list of candidates, and
5. prepare a recommended list of nominees for election at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
Eligibility of Nominees
Nominees should meet the following qualification criteria:
– Preference will be given to paid-up BASA members who have been active for 12 months
– The nominee should preferably have at least five years’ cumulative experience as a director of one or more of the following entities:
− A listed company
− An unlisted company
− A public sector body (whether incorporated or created by statute); or be
− a director, or equivalent, of a not-for-profit (NPO) organisation of substance; or
− an arts or arts-affiliated organisation or body, or be
− an individual with proven business experience.
The nominee should have the expertise and capacity to serve on one or more of the following expert committees:
– Risk and Audit Committee
– Fundraising and Marketing Committee
– Human Resources Committee
– Governance Committee
Preference will be given to candidates with finance/audit and/or professional arts experience.
BASA is a national organisation and this will be considered when selecting Board Members. It is envisaged that Board Members will serve for a period of three years, in order to retain institutional memory. The qualification criteria application is subject to the discretion of the Governance Committee.
The current BASA Board comprises the following Members:
Charmaine Soobramoney (Chairperson)
Mandie van der Spuy (Deputy Chairperson)
Ashraf Johaardien (CEO)
Andre Le Roux
Dr Yacoob Omar
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 18 September 2019 will deal with three specific items:
1. Considering and approving the amendments to the Articles of Association in line with governance best practice.
2. Electing three Non-Executive Directors to serve on the Board, as discussed in the preceding section.
3. The approval of the Annual Financial Statements (AFS).
The formal notice of the AGM will be sent to members within the required timeframes. Should you require further information, please contact Rochelle Singh on 011 447 2295 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org