Latest posts by Artsvark Presser (see all)
- Public Figure makes SA debut - 18/06/2019
- Call extended Drama For Life Conference & Festival - 18/06/2019
- SA Country-Sangeres, Chereé, se nuwe album is hier - 18/06/2019
The Revival and Re-Launch of Dance Umbrella
The Dance Umbrella, one of South Africa’s biggest dance festivals took a bow over funding battles in March this year during its’ 30th edition.
The revival of the festival will include new features such as;
- Name change from Dance Umbrella to Dance Umbrella South Africa, to indicate that the festival is a national platform that will be equally representative of the nine provinces.
- Focus and emphasis will be on the youth, female choreographers, emerging directors/curators and a fair share of established artists and institutions. More genres will also be considered.
- Applications for the fully-fledged inaugural Dance Umbrella South Africa 2020 will be opened after the re-launch in April 2019. The finer logistics of the re-launch will be communicated in due course.
Acclaimed dancer and choreographer, Ms Mamela Nyamza will also be joining the State Theatre to be at the helm of Dance Umbrella South Africa as its curator. Ms Nyamza is the first dance artist to be chosen as the Featured Artist at the 2018 National Arts Festival in Makhanda. She is also an alumnus to both the State Theatre as a resident dancer and choreographer; and the Tshwane University of Technology as a student of ballet at the former Pretoria Technikon School of Dance. Thus, it’s a befitting homecoming for Ms Nyamza.