Position: Lighting Technician
[REF: LT/18] – R11 640.00 pm (plus applicable benefits).
The Joburg City Theatres (JCT) is an entity of the City of Johannesburg that stimulates and operates Joburg Theatre (Braamfontein), Roodepoort Theatre and Soweto Theatre.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Enforce all safety regulations
- Select lights and equipment to be used and organize any additional equipment
- Set up, focus and operate light fixtures and equipment
- Control consoles and auxiliary equipment
- Operate the lights during the performance
- Use manual or computer control consoles to control lighting throughout a production
- Use devices such as barn-doors, scrims and other attachments to control lighted
- Perform routine maintenance functions such as replacing lamps and damaged colour filters or patterns and maintain lighting equipment in safe working conditions
- Explore new techniques and special effects
- Placement and focus of lighting fixtures for any given scene
- Distribution of power and work lights around the set and support areas (including actor’s change rooms.)
- Providing electricity to all support services and departments on the set
- Follow spot operator
- Console/dimmer board operator
- Interpret a lighting designer’s plan
- Carry out risk assessments for health and safety purposes
- Plan where to run cables
- Help to rig up the lighting equipment
- Make sure that lighting equipment and generators are working
- Program the consoles and load automated colour change systems before a show
- Take cues from the stage manager in theatre or the floor manager in TV productions
- Operate manual and computer-controlled lighting systems during a show.
Education and experience required:
- Grade 12
- A minimum of 3 years in practical work experience in Theatre lighting
- Experience in lighting board programming
- Verbal communications in the English language
- Willingness to work unsociable hours.
Interested persons are requested to send a cover letter and detailed CV, quoting the relevant reference number to Mr. Thomas Sadiki, Human Resources Manager, Joburg City Theatres, via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries: 011 877 6821
Closing date: 22 May 2018
Joburg City Theatres is an equal opportunity employer and this position will be filled in line with its EE targets.
Preference will be given to designated groups including people with disabilities.
JCT reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Applications must contain at least 1 referee.
Please ensure that applications are accompanied by certified copies of qualifications as per job requirements. Certified copy of Identity document is a prerequisite.
If you have not heard from us within 6 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Only those applicants required for an interview will be contacted.