Latest posts by Artsvark Presser (see all)
National Children’s Theatre invites all students from grades 5 – 12 or an equivalent (for home school students) to enrol for the SACEE (South African Council for English Education) Shakespeare Monologue Competition to be held on Tuesday 9 May 2017.
Each student is required to memorise and perform a monologue or monologue selection from Shakespeare’s plays.
The monologues must be selected from one of Shakespeare’s 38 plays.
NOTE: Students can pick any role regardless of their gender (i.e. females can play male roles and vice versa).
Up to THREE monologues may be performed (no more than 5 minutes) The Folger text is available for free at www.folgerdigitaltexts.org.
NOTE: Editing of the text (i.e. cutting of lines) is allowed, but make sure the piece still makes logical sense.
All competitors must adhere to the following rules:
- Each student must select, memorize and perform one, two or three monologues from Shakespeare’s plays.
- Students’ order of performance will be determined by lot.
- Students should introduce themselves only by name.
- Students should identify their selection before they begin their presentation.
- Students cannot wear costume or use props of any kind (including chairs, jewelry, items of clothing and hair clips).
- Students are expected to memorize their pieces. However, if necessary, prompting is allowed. If students require prompting, they must say “Line.”