From 15 to 20 April 2018, RSG and Lefra Productions will host the Oppiwater Arts Festival on board the MSC Sinfonia on its cruise from Durban to Mozambique.
Festival-goers can enjoy shrimp at the legendary Palano Hotel in Maputo, relax in bliss on a Portuguese island and also visit Pomene, the new destination that is difficult to reach by land. A full-blown arts festival on board the MSC Sinfonia, offering more than 20 top Afrikaans theatre productions, is the main course though. The Oppiwater programme was recently released.
Bookings for Oppiwater Arts Festival can be made at MSC Cruises at 0860 11 44 11 or online at www.oppiwater.co.za. For more information, contact Lefra Productions on 011 815 3000 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodation and all meals are included in the fees of the arts cruise. An entertainment fee is included that allows festival-goers to book productions at very low subsidised ticket prices, which vary from R10 to R90 per ticket. Festival-goers are advised to book tickets in advance at any branch of Computicket, while still in South Africa. While tickets will be available on board the MSC Sinfonia, festival-goers will have to pay in US dollars instead of Rand, which will of course be much more expensive. Bookings can be made at Computicket on 0861 915 8000 or at www.computicket.com. There are branches of Computicket at all Checkers and Shoprite outlets. To book tickets online, go to the direct link: https://online.computicket.com/web/festival/oppiwater_kunstefees_2018/32456310.
Frans Swart, Managing Director of Lefra Productions and organisers of the Oppiwater Arts Festival says that he is very excited about this year’s festival program. “Of course, it remains an annual challenge to decide which wonderful productions will join us on our arts cruise. It is always important for us to present our festival-goers with a wide variety of theatre genres. There will be drama, comedy, poetry, dance, literary art, music and singing. We realise too well that Oppiwater must primarily be a holiday experience for our passengers – therefore there will also be delightful deck parties for all to enjoy. Swart says that the challenge lies in having to fit more than 20 different Afrikaans productions into that week. “It is quite a big task for my team to stage so many productions in such a limited time and especially such limited space. After five years of doing this, though, we have mastered the art of providing our guests with an unbelievable arts festival”. He also stated that Oppiwater is proud to have been nominated for a Fiesta Award for one of the four best arts festivals in the country.
TIEN VINGERS by Coenie de Villiers is probably one of the biggest favourites at the Oppiwater Arts Festival. There is also the farce, MY MAN SE SKELMPIE SE SKELMPIE SE VROU; the Boerneef tribute, FLENNIE DIE SNARE with Chris Chameleon, Anna Davel, Johny Klein, Jaconell Mouton, Mauritz Lotz and Riaan van Rensburg; Randall Wicomb and Hans du Plessis’s Griekwapsalms are revived in VOETE VAN ’N GEMSBOK. Lizz Meiring can be seen in MET ANDER WOORDE and much more.
RSG presenters Johan Rademan, Sue Pyler, Ettienne Ludick and Fritz Klaaste will be your hosts.
The full festival program is as follows:
- BOO! with Chris Chameleon and Riaan van Rensburg
- Coenie de Villiers in TIEN VINGERS
- DIE STORIE VAN AFRIKAANSE MUSIEK with Pieter Smith
- DIE WYN, DIE VROU, DIE LIED with Johan Rademan, Christo Snyman and Neil Retief of Van Loveren Wines. This production also includes a full wine tasting by Van Loveren Wines.
- DINAMIET KOM IN KLEIN PAKKIES with Sue Pyler
- FLENNIE DIE SNARE with Chris Chameleon, Anna Davel, Johny Klein, Daniella Deysel, Jaconell Mouton (musical director), Mauritz Lotz and Riaan van Rensburg
- POPULAR ARIAS FROM THE MUSICALS with Rouel Beukes
- GOLDEN OLDIES with Alwyn Oberholster
- KAPPITYT LANGARM DECKPARTY with RSG’s Fritz Klaaste and a boere music band.
- KARAOKE with Ettienne Ludick in the Pasha Club
- KAT EN WOLF with Chris Chameleon and Daniella Deysel
- MET ANDER WOORDE with Lizz Meiring
- MUSIC LANDSCAPES with Jaconell Mouton and Mauritz Lotz
- MUSIEKNOOT OPPIBOOT with Lizz Meiring
- MY MAN SE SKELMPIE SE SKELMPIE SE VROU – delightful Lefra farce with director Frans Swart
- MY TYD with Chanie Jonker, a classical piano recital
- NOSTALGIE with Christo Snyman
- ONTBLOOT with Edrien Erasmus
- ’N GEWIGTIGE SAAK with Wynand (Karate Kallie) van Vollenstee
- RSG radio drama with Johan Rademan as director
- MAAR? with Ettienne Ludick
- RIAAN VAN RENSBURG LIVE!
- SWINGING SAFARI with Anna Davel
- VOETE VAN ’N GEMSBOK – Griekwapsalms
- WEGVAARTPARTYTJIE on Deck
MEET THE ARTISTS – each afternoon at 17:00 in the Pasha Club
- DIRECT RSG BROADCASTS – daily with Alwyn Oberholster our music-maker on deck
Exact performance times and venue information are available at www.oppiwater.co.za