The South African State Theatre’s Education, Youth and Children’s Theatre (EYCT) Department calls upon youth to “Step Up” as part in its Youth Expressionz Festival 2017.
The Youth Expressions Festival 2017 is directed towards empowering young people while remembering the essence of Youth Month in South Africa; celebrating 100 years of Oliver Tambo and heading the clarion call of the 1984 June 16th address.
“Step Up: Organise, Mobilise and Step up the mass offensive around the immediate issues of the day”
“The June month carries a galaxy of dates, each of which records and bears witness to the heroic content of our Struggle, the supreme justice of our cause and our irrevocable commitment to pursue it until final victory” – Oliver Reginald Tambo.
The following genres serve as a guide to those applying for this opportunity.
- Visual Arts Exhibitions
- Dance Productions (contemporary, traditional and pantsula)
- Drama Productions in any indigenous South African language
- Comedy Show
- Competitions for Hip Hop and poetry with the winning prize of participation in the festival.
- Paper presentations at the youth conference under the theme remembering the words of Oliver Tambo.
All proposals are required to have the following to be considered for the above-mentioned festival;
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Motivation letter of how the production is relevant, meaningful and entertaining.
- Creative team information that includes biographies and contact details.
- Full script and a brief synopsis.
- Four-page narrative treatment (if there is no script or if it will be a dance/workshopped production).
- For visual artists, a portfolio is required.
Successful candidates will receive venue, technical and some artistic support from the SAST in addition to the door takings split of 70% to the production and 30% to the SAST.
All proposals must be submitted to email@example.com and reach SAST by 10 May 2017.