Latest posts by Artsvark Presser (see all)
The 20th Time of the Writer Festival invites high school learners to submit their short stories for the annual Schools Short Story Competition.
Held in conjunction with the Time of the Writer festival, the Schools Short Story Competition is open to all South African high school learners and aims to encourage creative expression in young people while functioning as a springboard for the future writers of South Africa. With the festival’s long-standing commitment toward nurturing a culture of reading and writing, this competition has received a wide appeal that continues to grow with each edition of the festival.
Winners will be awarded cash prizes, book vouchers and complimentary tickets to the festival.
The Time of the Writer takes place from 13-18 March 2017. As one of the country’s longest running literature festivals, Time of the Writer brings together some of the best authors, publishers, and editors from around the world, while focusing on providing a platform to KwaZulu-Natal talent. In addition to the nightly showcases at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre and various community based venues, the festival also organises a broad range of free daily activities including an educational and entertaining programme of workshops, reading sessions and panel discussions. This includes engagement with teachers on the implementation of literature in the classroom and with members of the public interested in literature as well as visits to schools by the festival participants.
For more information on the festival or the competition, please visit our website at http://www.cca.ukzn.ac.za or contact the Centre for Creative Arts on 031 260 2506/1816 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to all South African high school students.
- There is no particular topic for the short stories.
- The short stories can be written in English or isiZulu.
- Illegible entries will not be considered (Typed entries preferred).
- Short stories are to be a maximum of 5 pages in length.
- Deadline for submissions is 24 February 2017. (16:00)
How to Enter:
Entries can be submitted by one of the following methods:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Fax: 031 260 3074
- Hand Delivery: Centre for Creative Arts, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Howard College Campus, Mazisi Kunene Avenue, Durban, 4041, South Africa
All entries must include:
- Name of school (Contact and physical address)
- Name of submitter (Grade, age and contact details)
- Ensure that all pages are numbered.
Organised by the Centre for Creative Arts (University KwaZulu-Natal), the 20th Time of the Writer is supported by the City of Durban, the KZN Department of Arts and Culture, the National Department of Arts and Culture, the Mazisi Kunene Foundation, the Goethe Institut, and the Alliance Francaise Durban. The Centre for Creative Arts is housed in the College of Humanities’ School of Arts at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.