Latest posts by Artsvark Presser (see all)
The Baxter Theatre Centre is looking to hire a Senior Lighting and AV projection Technician.
The Baxter Theatre Centre invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for this permanent position in the Production Department within the Baxter Theatre Centre, for appointment as soon as possible.
We seek a confident, self-motivated, highly organized person with strong interpersonal, communication and technical skills who is committed to ensuring that the Baxter Theatre Productions both local and international are supplied with lighting and Audio-Visual Projections to the highest technical and artistic standard. The main purpose of this position is to deploy and operate Lighting and AV projection for any production or event at the Baxter Theatre. In addition to maintaining all the necessary equipment.
- Grade 12 or an equivalent qualification (NQF4) with a minimum of 5-10 years’ work experience in a lighting department in the theatre industry.
- Must be able to install, operate, program and execute LX Design
- Strong organization, planning and administrative skills.
- Proven computer literacy in the use of MS Office at an intermediate level.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team, use initiative, and be flexible.
- The ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment.
- The ability to supervise junior technicians.
- Knowledge of lighting fixtures and consoles; as well as executing complex programming of lighting for diverse events.
- Exceptional knowledge of AV projection equipment and its installation, programming and operation.
- A strong sense of customer service.
- The flexibility to work according to the Baxter Theatre Centre’s operational hours.
- Any additional/ other technical qualifications of a higher level would be advantageous.
- To rig, set-up, focus and operate lights for any production at the Baxter Theatre Centre.
- To program and edit lighting cues on all lighting desks, including the use of DMX control fixtures.
- To execute lighting set-ups according to lighting plans.
- Set-up and operate basic sound/AV when required.
- Programming of computer programs for easier operation of the AV cues.
- To maintain and ensure all lighting equipment is stored and in good condition.
- Ensure that there is sufficient inventory of lamps, gel frames and spare lighting parts.
- Adhere to all relevant Health and Safety rules and regulations.
- To provide clients with plans and equipment lists prior to their production.
- To research and provide lighting options to ensure that the Baxter Theatre is constantly abreast of changes within the industry.
- Take on any other duties as may be required and as assigned by Baxter Management.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R300,495 – R353,522.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Mr Patrick Curtis (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test. Please note: the appointable candidate may be required to undergo a pre-placement medical test.
Telephone: 021 680 3969
Reference number: E80305
Closing date: 23 April 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.